At the year of 1923, when Greeks forced to leave from Asia Minor, about 400 families from the village of Katirli of Vithinia, left their beautiful place and found a new place to fit in, as refugees, according to their parish they belonged to.
Parishioners of the Saint Paraskevi church came to Stavros, creating the village "Paralia Stavros" and parishioner of the Saint John church went to Thssaloniki, founding the village "Neo Katirli" at today's Kalamaria municipality. Some months later refugees from the village of Madytos in Prousa added to the ones in Paralia Stavros and instantly embody to the village.
The refugee families along with the native residents of the villages Stavros and Vrasna composed for some years a united community. The lack of homogeneity and the distance between the three villages led to Vrasna detachment first and Stavros later. At 1931 accomplished the final segregation of the villages. The old village with the native residents named Ano Stavros, while the refugee village retained the name Stavros.
Today Stavros is the main village of the Municipality of Rentina, where the town hall is located. The old refugees village is transformed into a summer resort with modern turist facilities and plentiful natural beauty. The combination of mountain and sea offers the ability guarantees the satisfaction of varies tourist desires.
Stavros's visitors have the chance to: